Foster Grandparent Program
“Sharing Today, Shaping Tomorrow.”
Come and Join Us!
The South East Texas Foster Grandparent Program provides meaningful volunteer opportunities for income-eligible persons, age 55 or over, to establish supportive one-on-one mentoring relationships with youth in local juvenile probation, prison, hospitals, schools and child-care facilities, and Head-Start programs.
The fostering of these relationships has assisted in answering the goals set forth by numerous agencies to break the cycle of drug abuse, crime, and other problems experienced by a growing sector of today’s youth. At the same time, the foster grandparents participate as vital members of society by sharing their wisdom, convictions, and experience.
- Nationally, we are celebrating 50 years of service
- Locally, we are celebrating 26 years of service
- 95 older adults are serving as mentors and tutors
- Our volunteers are serving 44 sites
- We serve Hardin, Jefferson and Orange counties
- Foster grandparents receive a non-taxable stipend of $2.65 an hour
- We have provided Southeast Texas with 824,346 hours of service since 1989